Thursday, March 8, 2012

Justine's Thoughts: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa


The Iron King (Iron Fey #1)
By Julie Kagawa
Source: Won at Burning Impossibly Bright
Pages:
 363
Book Description:

Meghan Chase has a secret destiny -- one she could never have imagined...
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan’s life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school...or at home.When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she’s known is about to change.
But she should never have guessed the truth -- that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she’ll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face...and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

A quote:
“Touch her, and I’ll freeze your testicles off and put them in a jar. Understand?”

Thoughts:
Expectations: I was entirely aware of the excited hype around the blogosphere, whether it was on Twitter, Goodreads, or other blogs. Everything that was said was always positive, which of course made me super eager to start this series. So from the very beginning, I knew in my mind that I would end up loving it.

About Setting: Whoa. Crazy good, it’s almost impossible to describe in my simple words. *deep breath* The highlighted setting is Nevernever. Nevernever is the land of fey. It’s colourful and wonderful and all the pretty adjectives. There are courts within Nevernever and their surroundings depend on what type of court it is. For example, in The Summer Court, trees, vines, and fountains are found everywhere. It’s so beautiful and magnificent and I love how Julie Kagawa describes it all. She has created a universe so satisfyingly terrifying -- odd, I know -- which I love being in. It’s so perfect!

About Characters: Meghan is one amazing heroine. Her willingness to rescue her brother despite sacrifices and promises show true courage and love. I adore her. The cat that accompanies her on her journey is Grimalkin, and honestly, I adore that cat. He is so mysterious and incredibly funny and can come out of nowhere at any point in time. He’s my favourite. And now the thing about Puck and Ash: I seriously don’t know whose team I’m in yet. I mean, it’s so darn hard!! I love them both in their own way. Puck, for his aliveness, humour, and commitment. Ash, for his dark, brooding nature and that hidden softness in him. I was leaning more towards Ash, but I’m not for sure yet so I’ll see what’s in store for me in the next book.

About Plot: I know zilch about fey -- its myths, its history, and basically everything about it. I’ve never read Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream. I wish I did so I’d know a bit of the characters that were in it. In the introducing the world of fey, Julie Kagawa was outstanding. One by one, she explains the aspects of the fey (at first through Puck to Meghan). It was hard not to be hooked! During scenes where there’s action, I marvel at the writing. It was so well described. I read word by word and was compelled to keep going.

The plot as a whole is a mix of danger, mystery, humour, and love. It’s exhilarating to be a part of it. It kind of reminds me of Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instruments series whereas this one has various types of fey creatures, Mortal Instruments has Shadowhunters, vampires, werewolves and many more. Thinking more about it, it seems like Iron Fey is similar to in Mortal Instruments in a way of thrilling journey, a love triangle that’s just so darn complicated, Jace & Ash!, the world that I mentioned above, and that’s about it I think. I pretty much love it.

Overall Rating: Y Y Y Y Y
As always, I’m excited for the next book in the series. There’s so much that could possibly happen. With a theme of science and technology becoming more common, Julie Kagawa brings up a clever and thoughtful message based on reality. It makes me wonder what will happen in the series as it truly reflects our world, our society.



1 comment:

  1. I have a few of these books, but haven't tried them yet. Great review. I think I'll start now, lol :)

    Marlene Detierro (Pocket Knife Planet)

    ReplyDelete

Show us your bookful of thoughts! :)