Thursday, July 21, 2011

Justine's Thoughts: Halo by Alexandra Adornetto

Halo
By Alexandra Adornetto

Source: Contest (ARC)
Pages:
484
Rating: 4/5
Book Description:

Three angels are sent down to bring good to the world: Gabriel, the warrior; Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, a teenage girl who is the least experienced of the trio. But she is the most human, and when she is romantically drawn to a mortal boy, the angels fear she will not be strong enough to save anyone--especially herself--from the Dark Forces.

Is love great enough power against evil?

A quote:

Sometimes it's better to stop trying to make sense of things. Life isn't clear cut, there are always gray areas.

Any thoughts:

I didn’t notice that Alexandra Adornetto is seventeen years old until Steff read the back (unlike me) and told me. Then I said, “Wow, that is impressive. This is pretty good.” Halo is a little more focused on the romance plot and less on the paranormal, and while I enjoyed it, it still has its ups and downs.

The premise of angels coming down to Earth interested me. Life on earth is viewed differently and we get to witness the opinion of an angel from heaven. Of course, when Bethany, the youngest of the three angels sent to Earth, experiences life as a human she instantly faces temptation. She briefly thinks about pre-marital sex and struggles with drinking and partying, but she has a sense of what is right and what is wrong.

Most of the story was based on the romantic relationship between Bethany and Xavier, which was really adorable. I admit, I gushed at some parts. Xavier is kind and has a sense of humour and manners. He is your perfect guy. He does not have a single flaw unless you count his grieving past, which I don’t. But that’s the problem with me -- I like my fiction guys interesting and conflicted. However, Bethany and Xavier make a fantastic couple and I’m glad their relationship is now established so the next book in the series will contain more paranormal aspects.

The writing is wonderful. I loved how Adornetto described with detail the setting and the scenes. Bethany’s voice is unordinary from humans, who talk in slangs and with sarcasm (Admit it, a lot of us do). She gets caught behind, which makes for a soft comedic relief at times.

The one scene I disliked the most was when Xavier didn’t talk to Bethany for a while, resulting in Bethany’s depression. I cringed, and a flashback to when Bella spent time without Edward came to me. I just don’t understand how you can’t not live without your boyfriend. It sent a clear message that Bethany being alone is weak.

As much as I enjoyed Halo, I’m hoping more of a development in Bethany’s character in the next instalment as well as a focus on the paranormal conflicts. To readers who are looking for a deep romance, Halo would be the perfect, unique story for you.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Show us your bookful of thoughts! :)