Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Justine's Thoughts: Wings by Aprilynn Pike

Wings
By Aprilynn Pike

Source: Library
Pages:
290

Rating:

4/5


Book Description:

Laurel’s life is the very definition of normal . . . until the morning when she wakes up to discover a flower blooming from her back. As it turns out, nothing in Laurel’s life is what it seems. Now, with the help of an alluring faerie sentry who holds the key to her true past, Laurel must race to save her human family from the centuries-old faerie enemies who walk among them.

A quote:

It didn't matter to her that Tamani only had weak magic, he was magic.

Any thoughts:

This is my very first fey novel. Before, I had no background of faeries whatsoever. Now, I have a small clue of what they are, even though Aprilynn Pike has added her own spin of ideas.

The plot is original and interesting overall. Not to mention charming and magical. Everything changes significantly for Laurel. The hidden world she belongs to is slowly revealed, but for me it took me a while to get into the story. It’s written in third point of view, which is okay, but sometimes made me bored because of the tone. The characters, on the other hand, are all wonderful. Laurel is weak at times due to the helplessness that she feels when a flower is blooming on her back. Not only that, but her mind fails to remember anything that happened when she was a baby. At other times, she’s confident and strong willed, taking action when she’s not supposed to. I must admit that I adore her during those times. It’s these kinds of heroines that I like.

The love triangle in this novel reminded me of the one in Twilight. David and Tamani are similar to Jacob and Edward, but there’s a whole different thing going on, with mixed up characteristics. That made it harder for me to choose. Up to now, I still have no idea. David is the handsome, sweet, understanding boy, a science nerd who is ever so willing to help Laurel. Tamani is the gorgeous, enticing faerie who holds the answers to Laurel’s past. (He even has a British/Irish accent!) Poor Laurel, who is stuck in the middle of both worlds, torn with an important decision. But truly, I love both guys!

I’m excited to read the sequel, of course. Once I’m in a series, it’s tough to hold back. Wings is definitely a great start in the series and it has much potential. I recommend it to those who love mythology and fantasy, or those who simply want a fun, adventurous story with faeries and magic.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Show us your bookful of thoughts! :)