Thursday, March 24, 2011

Justine's Thoughts: Solid by Shelley Workinger

Solid (Solid #1)
By Shelley Workinger

Source: From author, Shelley Workinger
Pages:
223
Book Description:

Eighteen years ago, a rogue Army doctor secretly experimented with a chromosomal drug on unknowing pregnant women. When he was killed not long after the children were born, any knowledge and evidence seemed to die with him -- except the living, breathing, human products of his work.

Almost two decades later, the newly self-proclaimed “open-book” military unearths the truth about the experiment, bringing Clio Kaid and the other affected teens to a state-of-the-art, isolated campus where they soon discover that C9x did indeed alter their chromosomes - its mutations presenting as super-human abilities. The military kids, who come from across the nation and all walks of life, come into their own as lighter-than-air ‘athletes’; ‘indies’ as solid as stone walls; teens who can make themselves invisible and others who can blind with their brilliance.

While exploring her own special ability, forging new friendships and embarking on first love, Clio also stumbles onto information indicating that the military may not have been entirely forthcoming with them and that all may not be as it seems. . .

A quote:

I loved how the words to a song could perfectly capture my feelings about a moment or a day or a friend. I imagine someday putting together a massive compilation, like a sort of soundtrack of my life that I’d be able to listen to and relive all my memories.

Rating:

5/5

Any thoughts:

I am one of the people who absolutely love books about superhuman abilities. So when I received an email from Shelley Workinger asking to review her novel, I was not only excited and happy, but I was more than willing to read her novel!

Clio is a likeable character who was very easy to relate to. When she tries to fit in in this strange, isolated campus, I was able to connect with her. Making new friends is sometimes a difficult task, especially in a new place. The other characters -- Jack, Bliss, Garrett, Miranda and Alexis -- combine to make a fantastic group. I enjoyed each one of them (especially Garrett and his witty, fearless personality), and hope to see more of them in the coming books of the series.

From the very beginning, I was hooked to the story. The prologue, however, slowed me down a little bit. It was only a small bump on the road, but after that I flew through the book. It is a very quick read and it covers the basic information. It does leave you with a satisfying ending and many unanswered questions, which I suppose is the purpose of the two other books. I absolutely cannot wait for the next book in the series -- it comes out this July 2011!

Thank you very much to Shelley for providing me a signed copy of Solid and an additional bookmark!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Show us your bookful of thoughts! :)