Thursday, December 9, 2010

Justine's Thoughts: Beastly by Alex Flinn

Beastly
By Alex Flinn

Source: Library
Pages:
300
Book Description:

I am a beast.

A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright -- a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I’m talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The Time is now. It’s no deformity, no disease. And I’ll stay this way forever -- ruined -- unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I’ll tell you. I’ll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then I’ll tell you how I became perfectly . . . beastly.

A quote:

You shouldn't miss someone who don't miss you, right?

Any thoughts:

Note: I don't remember watching Beauty and the Beast as a child. Maybe I have, but all I remember is Belle skipping in the snow with a basket in hand. Yes, I know. I'm starting to think I was Disney deprived.

---

I admit, the reason I read this book was because I was looking forward to watching the movie starring Alex Pettyfer, Vanessa Hudgens, and Mary-Kate Olsen. And I’m way, way excited for it! I don’t read quite a lot of re-tellings, but how I miss them oh so much. Alex Flinn’s re-telling of Beauty and the Beast is one of a kind, and I ended up enjoying it.

Kyle Kingsbury (what a cool name) is the beast who was previously a spoiled teenager, who was well-known at school, who was a big bad jerk. I can’t say that he didn’t deserve that spell the witch had casted on him because I believe he really needed it. And throughout the novel, you can witness the change happening in him through Alex Flinn’s simple writing style. Lindy is my favourite character. She is very easy to relate to, especially for those who love flowers and books.

The only thing I didn’t like is the early concept of Lindy being kept a prisoner, and Kyle’s creepy obsession with her. I know he means no harm, but it did seem sort of inappropriate. The thing I liked the most, however, was the online chatroom conversations about transformations. Although they had only a small part in the novel, I found them entertaining, a little bit of relief from what is happening.

All in all, it’s a fresh, enjoyable read. Alex Flinn did a fantastic job bringing an old fairy tale into the modern world, spinning a few things and twisting them and ta-dah! What you get is magic, true love, inner beauty, and a happily ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show us your bookful of thoughts! :)