Thursday, November 25, 2010

Justine's Thoughts: Sharing Sam by Katherine Applegate

Sharing Sam
By Katherine Applegate

Source: Library
Pages:
155
Book Description:

Alison Chapman has always believed she’d fall in love hard. And she does--with Sam Cody, a new guy with a gorgeous face and brooding eyes, a guy who’s impossible to resist. When Sam asks her to the Valentine’s Day dance, Alison is elated. . .until she finds out that her best friend, Isabella Cates-Lopez, has fallen for Sam, too. . .until she finds out that Isabella is dying. Now Alison wants Isabella’s last days to be her happiest ever--even if she and Sam have to hide their love. Even if, by sharing Sam, Alison risks losing him forever.

Katherine Applegate’s poignant novel of love, loss, and the sacrifices made for true friendship will stir readers’ hearts.

A quote:

Best friends were created so you could say all the things you could never say to parents.

Any thoughts:

Sharing Sam can easily be devoured in one sitting having gone through spiking, powerful emotions. Happy and sad -- I think I felt both at the same time. It was hard to tell the difference.

All the while, I wasn’t sure that Alison’s plan to share Sam to make her best friend happy was such a good idea. I was always on the fence. At one point my foot would go to the other side, and the next thing you know, I would be switching sides again. But I really admire Alison’s genuine loyalty towards her best friend, Isabella. From the very beginning, she proved to be a great character with a caring heart. Sam, the love interest, has a sweet, such caring interior beneath his mysterious shell. You can’t help but love him too.

The novel ended very quickly, which I was very sad about. I wished I hadn’t read it so fast. It was so touching and sweet and deep and heartbreaking all at the same time. Katherine Applegate has done well that I’m definitely going to be reading more of her books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show us your bookful of thoughts! :)