Thursday, August 5, 2010

Justine's Thoughts: City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

City of Glass
By Cassandra Clare

Pages:

541

Book Description:

Love is a mortal sin and the secrets of the past prove deadly as Clary and Jace face down Valentine in the final installment of the New York Times bestselling trilogy The Mortal Instruments.

A quote:

People aren’t born good or bad. Maybe they’re born with tendencies either way, but it’s the way you live your life that matters. And the people you know.

Any thoughts:

City of Glass seems like the perfect ending for The Mortal Instruments series. It’s got everything -- friendship, heartache, action, epiphanies, suspense, family and love. Who would ask for more? Every minute and every second spent reading this book was seriously a pleasure.

Initially when I saw the book, I noticed how thick it was and thought it would take me forever. Little did I know that I would want to stay up late to read it. Alas, it took me only two days to read such a thick book. (I’m so proud of myself!) Cassandra Clare really knows how to hook people at the end of chapters despite their length.

Every question that has been bugging my mind since City of Bones is finally answered. We also see a completely different side of Jace -- his inner self. Beneath his arrogance and wit lies the Jace who we’ve all been waiting to see. It’s the reason why I love him so much! As a fictional character, of course. Other characters are further developed and I enjoyed each personality’s uniqueness. They are all so loveable! To be honest, I even liked Valentine. He is one of the best villains of all time. Everything that everyone says about him is right; he draws people in with his leadership qualities. He is pretty determined; however, he’s a villain for many reasons.

One thing I wanted to mention was how Jace reminded me a lot like Shakespeare’s own Hamlet. It’s strange but true! I’ll leave it to you to make the similarities and differences.

Overall, City of Glass is by far my most favourite. It took me to a series of loops as if I was on a roller coaster ride. It left me pondering and guessing after having read it. Although I’m glad it seems like the perfect ending, I’m happier that there’s another book in the series and an additional prequel to The Mortal Instruments. Boy, am I ever excited!

If you have not started this series, I beg you to do so! I assure you that you will not regret it. In fact, you’ll enjoy the roller coaster ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show us your bookful of thoughts! :)